Getting marrieā€‹d in the Cook Islands

From a beachfront wedding at sunset to an elaborate affair with full Cook Islands Maori costume, wedding canoe and warriors...there are plenty of options for anyone planning to marry in the Islands. And there are plenty of companies who will relieve you of your money to organise it. The purpose of this page is simply to spell out the basics. There are no recommendations on any suppliers


Who can marry? 
Male and female only. Gay marriage is illegal.

Are there residency requirements? 
Couples need to be in the Cook Islands three full days before the ceremony to obtain their marriage licence. The Registrar may waive the requirement in special circumstances, but you or your wedding coordinator must apply in advance and a small fee is payable to the government. Application for this licence cannot be made from outside the Cook Islands

What documentation do you need?  
Bride and bridegroom need their passports and birth certificates. Certificates must be in English or accompanied by a legally certified translation. If one or both parties is divorced, legal proof of that divorce will be required. If you're a widow or widower, a death certificate for the previous spouse needs to be produced.

Are there any age restrictions? 
The legal age of consent is 21. Anyone younger will have to produce written approval from their parents or legal guardians


Many hotels will organise everything for a price...and it's probably money well spent if you want someone else to look after the hassle. There are also companies on the net selling "everything you need to know" guides. But all that information is also available directly from the Cook Islands government, free of charge.

Marriage Inquiries,
Registrars Department
Department of Justice and Lands
PO Box 11,
Cook Islands

Phone +682 29 410

The information on this page is a summary of the government's official advice

Click here to email

Click here for more from the official government site